Flourless Chocolate Cake (version 3)
4 oz. bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp brewed espresso (or any other *strong* brewed coffee)
1 Tbsp brandy
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup ground almonds
3 large eggs, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. and butter and 8-inch springform pan.
2. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate with vanilla and brewed espresso and brandy.
3. Add butter, sugar, and almonds and heat the mixture until the butter has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
4. Beat the 3 egg yolks until they are lemon colored and stir them into the chocolate mixture.
5. Whip the 3 egg whites until they are just stiff and fold them into the chocolate mixture.
6. Turn the batter into the pan and bake the cake in the middle of the over for 45 minutes. The cake will have some cracks on top, and a tester inserted into the cake will not come out clean. Let the cake cool completely on a rack and remove the sides of the pan. The cake will rise and then fall.