Biscotti Di Pignoli - Pine Nut Macaroons
Category: Cookies & Candies
1 pound almond paste (2 8-oz cans)
1 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, lightly beaten, at room temperature
1 cup pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 3000F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. (Important, as the cookies tend to stick.)
2. Crumble the almond paste into the large bowl of an electric mixer. Add the sugar and beat until well blended. Add the egg whites gradually and beat until smooth.
3. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 1-1/2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle the cookies with the pine nuts, patting the nuts lightly into the surface of the dough so that they will adhere.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets.
5. Gently turn the parchment paper over onto a work surface and brush the bottom lightly with cool water. Let stand briefly until the cookies are released from the paper. If necessary, brush again with water.
6. Just before serving, sprinkle the macaroons with confectioners' sugar. If not eaten the same day, freeze the cookies in plastic bags to maintain their texture. Thaw at room temperature.
Makes 70 cookies.